1. Great Grand Prize. There will be one Great Grand Prize awarded to the participant who enters the heaviest salmon overall in the Derby. The Great Grand prize winner is ineligible to win a first place weekly prize of $10,000.
1a. Grand Prize. There will be six Grand Prizes awarded to the participant who enters the heaviest salmon in each of the six remaining weeks of the Derby. The Grand Prize winners are ineligible to win multiple grand prizes.
Weekly Mini-Derbies. There will be seven (7) weekly mini-derbies starting at 12:01 a.m. on each of the following Saturdays, July 7, 14, 21, 28, August 4, 11, & 18. Each mini-derby ends on the following Friday at 8:00 p.m. with the exception of the August 18 mini-derbies, which will have a duration of eight (8) days ending Saturday, August 25 at 8:00p.m. Fish may only be weighed in between the hours of 9:00a.m. and 8:00p.m. daily. Prizes will be awarded each week for the seven (7) weeks in the weekly mini-derbies. For each of the seven (7) mini-derbies, first prize will be awarded to the participant entering the heaviest salmon, second prize to the participant entering the second heaviest salmon and so on in that order in accordance with the list of prizes outlined in the Derby advertisements in The Toronto Star. Only salmon are eligible for the weekly mini-derbies. A participant may only win one weekly prize each week. All prizes are awarded on awards day, September 15, 2018.
Super Ticket $200 including HST. In addition to being eligible to win the Great Grand Prize, Weekly Mini-Derbies or any other cash and prizes associated with the 2018 Derby, $60 from each Super ticket purchased (available online only) will be added to the jackpot. At the conclusion of the 2018 GOSD the 3 heaviest salmon weighed in by Super ticket holders ONLY will divide the Super Ticket jackpot as follows.
50% - heaviest salmon
30%- 2nd heaviest salmon
20%- 3rd heaviest salmon
Super ticket holders must abide by ALL Derby rules and regulations. Participants fishing from boats must ensure that ALL other OCCUPANTS in the boat also hold valid GOSD tickets but NOT necessarily Super tickets.
Super tickets can be purchased throughout the derby online, however upgrading from a Single ticket ($125 including HST) previously purchased to a Super ticket WILL NOT BE PERMITTED after Friday, July 6, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
Cash prizes will be awarded on awards day.
Junior Angler Day participants (ages 8-16 only)
Saturday, July 14th 12:01 am - 8pm.
The participant within the specified age group on the day of the event that enters the heaviest salmon within the designated weigh-in station hours will be our winner.
The junior angler entering a salmon must accompany their entry with PROOF OF AGE (birth certificate or government issued health insurance card) to the weigh-in station.
The junior angler and all participants in the boat must abide by ALL Derby rules and regulations. The junior angler must have their own ticket, be part of a family ticket, or be aboard a Derby Registered Charter Boat and ALL other OCCUPANTS in the boat with the junior angler must also hold valid GOSD tickets.
A SPECIAL JUNIOR ANGLER DAY TICKET WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
(ONLINE ONLY) FOR JULY 14th, 2018. $25 HST INCLUDED.
Prize Value: $600 in fishing retailer gift cards.
Prize will be awarded on awards day.
2. All data recorded on the official weigh-in form shall be final. If there is a tie for any prize based on weight, the winner will be the participant entering the first fish according to the data and time recorded on the official weigh-in form. In the event of any other tie or dispute the decision of the Derby judges will be final and binding on entrants.
Prizes are not transferable and must be accepted as described in Derby advertisements. There are no cash or other substitutes for merchandise prizes. Vehicles, if awarded, will have some mileage registered because of promotional use. In order to be confirmed as the winner of any prize, entrant must first execute a standard declaration and release form confirming compliance with the Derby Rules, acceptance of the prize as awarded and a release of all liability.
Winners may be subject to polygraph testing. Refusal to take the polygraph test will result in automatic disqualification. By entering, entrants agree to the use, without charge, of their names and photographs for promotional purposes. Not eligible are:
Derby judges and employees, officers and directors of each of the following: The Toronto Star; agents and assignees; its advertising and promotional agencies; affiliated Toronto Star Media companies; the Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows and its advertising and promotional agencies; weigh-in stations; mother, father, partners and children living in the same household with any of the above. (In the event that a winner is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, the prize will be awarded to his/her parent or legal guardian who will be required to sign the standard declaration and release form and to accept the prize on minor’s behalf). Additional eligibility restrictions: Void where prohibited and where this Derby is not in compliance with local legislation and requirements. The decisions of Derby judges will be final and binding on all entrants on all matters.
All times specified are local Toronto times. Derby judges reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone who has previously cheated in this or any other derby.
3. Fishing presents hazards at any time; weather, faulty equipment and poor seamanship, to name a few. As a condition of entering the Derby the participant releases the Derby judges and the officers, employees, directors, representatives and agents of each of the following: The Toronto Star; the Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows, its and their associated and affiliated companies and the Derby organization from all liability or responsibility to the participant or their heirs, executors, personal representatives, and representatives for loss, damage or injury suffered during the course of or arising out of participation in the Derby, whether or not arising out of negligence of those hereby released. (The Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows does not vouch for any of the charter boats that enter the Derby with a charter boat ticket. The charter boat ticket simply affords a person the opportunity to enter their salmon, caught in accordance with the rules of the Derby, in the Derby. The Derby does not endorse any particular charter boat and as a condition of entering the Derby, each captain, employees of the charter boat and their clients release the Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows, its directors and officers, affiliates, agents and assigns from any and all liability that may be occasioned to any of them as a consequence of participating in the Derby). Participants in the Derby are reminded that alcohol is to be consumed in moderation and strictly in accordance with applicable laws. Any breach of the Derby rules automatically disqualifies participants from winning any Derby prize. The Derby is open from 12:01 a.m., Saturday, July 7 to 8:00 p.m., Saturday, August 25, 2018. As described above, the Derby includes: (i) One Great Grand Prize for the heaviest Chinook Salmon caught overall (ii) 6 Grand Prizes for the heaviest Chinook Salmon caught in each of the six remaining weeks of the Derby, (iii) prizes in seven (7) weekly (the last week consists of 8 days) mini-derbies. Number, approximate value and description of the prizes are in advertisements for the Derby, which appear regularly in The Toronto Star and at www.sportshows.ca. Prizes may be substituted with prizes of the same or greater value.
4. Participants may fish in the Derby on any date after the date of purchase of a Derby ticket. The entry fee is $40 one day pass, $125.00 single, New $200 Single Super ticket,$250 family (2 parents & 2 children under age 16 all living in the same house) and $25 for additional children under the age of 16 of immediate family. All taxes are included in ticket prices. ONE DAY TICKET - $40.00 including HST. Valid only for the day following the date of purchase. The fishing day is defined as 12:01 a.m. till 8:00 p.m. the day following the date of purchase on the ticket. NO REFUNDS whatsoever. If you do not use it, you lose it. You print the tickets from your computer. It cannot be duplicated and must be signed immediately once printed. The one day tickets will be collected by the weigh master upon weighing in a fish. Any fraudulent activity will be prosecuted in the courts of law.
Charter Boat Derby Ticket - $1,000 including HST
Derby ticket will be issued to a participating Charter Boat. The Derby ticket is not portable, but rather is issued to the derby ticketed vessel. All people fishing off the vessel, including the captain and first mate are eligible to enter salmon in the Great Ontario Salmon Derby. All Derby rules apply. The weigh-in form must be signed and certified by the captain. The official entry weight will be measured at the weigh station.
Charter Boat Prize Package
All Derby ticketed charter boats are eligible to participate in a contest that parallels the Great Ontario Salmon Derby. All Derby rules and conditions apply. All salmon caught by clients or staff are eligible to enter the contest.
The prize package is as follows:
$3,000 – heaviest salmon
$2,000 – 2nd heaviest salmon
$1,000 – 3rd heaviest salmon
Prizes will be awarded at the Great Ontario Salmon Derby Awards Day on September 15, 2018.
Charter boat operators, if registered in the Derby must abide by the rules set out in the schedule “A” to the Derby rules outlining specific rules and regulations applying to charter boat operators. Rules are available from Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows, 30 Village Centre Place, Mississauga, ON L4Z 1V9. Charter boat operators and their mates who wish to compete in the
Derby, but have not purchased a GOSD charter boat ticket. must purchase an individual ticket from the organizers. All fishing must be in Lake Ontario, its harbours, and rivers as specifically permitted and must be in water located in the Province of Ontario. River fishing is restricted to: the Credit River from the lake to the GO train bridge north of Lakeshore Road; Oakville Harbour from the lake to Highway 2; Bronte Creek from the lake to Highway 2; Jordan Harbour (open); Port Dalhousie (open) and the Niagara River (open). Participants shall abide by the fishing regulations of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, the Department of Transport Small Boat Safety Regulations, all Municipal By-laws and these Derby Rules. Participants must have the Derby tickets with them whenever they are fishing. Participants fishing from boats must ensure that ALL other OCCUPANTS in theboat also hold tickets in the Derby. Derby officials may inspect boats at any time to ensure that all boat occupants hold tickets. Derby weigh-in stations are open daily from 9:00 a.m.to 8:00 p.m. Fish must be entered at one of the official Derby weigh-in stations.
5. A fish may be entered only once and will be marked with a hole punched in the gill plate or cut dorsal fin at the weigh-in station. Only fish that are whole may be entered. Fish with snag, foul hook, gaff or gill net marks, even if taken legitimately by the participant, will not be accepted; nor will fish that have been frozen or are badly deteriorated, washed out and dead for a long period of time. All fish must beentered only in The Great Ontario Salmon Derby and no other fishing Derby. A fish entered fromany other fishing Derby will result in the disqualification of the fish and the participant. Derby officials may hold any fish for examination, including biological examination. All fish in contention for a major prize will be held forsuch examination. The Great Ontario Salmon Derby is solely responsible for provision of the prizing. The Toronto Star is not responsible for prizing. Fish must be caught in the manner prescribed by the Ontario Fishing Regulations, as outlined in the Fishing Ontario recreational fishing regulations summary. In order to be eligible to win prizes, participants must have purchased Derby tickets and officially entered the Derby a minimum of one day prior to the day of competing in the event, and must comply with all of the Derby Rules.
Potential winning catches must be presented to the official Derby weigh-in stations for claim verification. Participants must correctly answer a time-limited skill-testing question and comply with these Derby Rules in order to be confirmed as the winner of any prize.
6. Prizes are subject to change without notice to prizes of equal or greater value.
NOTE: We encourage anglers to release their catch should it be of a lesser weight than that of the 10th place fish in each of the seven weeks of the DERBY.