2020 Derby Rules
1.Great Grand Prize. There will be one Great Grand Prize awarded to the participant who enters the heaviest salmon overall in the Derby.
1a. Grand Prize. There will be six Grand Prizes awarded to the participant who enters the heaviest salmon in each of the six remaining weeks of the Derby. The winner will be ineligible to win any other major prize.
Weekly Mini-Derbies. There will be seven (7) weekly mini-derbies starting at 12:01 a.m. on each of the following Saturdays: July 4; July 11; July 18: July 25; August 1; August 8 and August 15. Each mini-derby ends on the following Friday at 8:00 p.m. with the exception of the August 15 mini-derby, which will have a duration of eight (8) days ending Saturday, August 22 at 8:00 p.m. Fish may only be weighed in between the hours of 9:00a.m. and 8:00p.m. daily. Prizes will be awarded each week for the seven (7) weeks in the weekly mini-derbies. For each of the seven (7) mini-derbies, first prize will be awarded to the participant entering the heaviest salmon, second prize to the participant entering the second heaviest salmon and so on in that order in accordance with the list of prizes outlined on the Derby website. Only salmon are eligible for the weekly mini-derbies. A participant may only win one weekly prize each week. All prizes are awarded on awards day, August 29, 2020.
Super Ticket $225 including HST. In addition to being eligible to win the Great Grand Prize, Weekly Mini-Derbies or any other cash and prizes associated with the 2020 Derby, $60 from each Super ticket purchased (available online only) will be added to the jackpot. At the conclusion of the 2020 GOSD the 3 heaviest salmon weighed in by Super ticket holders ONLY will divide the Super Ticket jackpot as follows.
50% – heaviest salmon
30%- 2nd heaviest salmon
20%- 3rd heaviest salmon
Super ticket holders must abide by ALL Derby rules and regulations. Participants fishing from boats must ensure that ALL other OCCUPANTS in the boat also hold valid GOSD tickets but NOT necessarily Super tickets.
Super tickets can be purchased throughout the Derby online, however upgrading from a Single ticket ($150 including HST) previously purchased to a Super ticket WILL NOT BE ALLOWED after Friday, July 3, 2020 at 11:59pm.
Cash prizes will be awarded on Awards Day.
Walter Oster Junior Angler Day participants (ages 8-16 only)
Saturday July 11th 12:01 am – 8pm.
The participant within the specified age group on the day of the event that enters the heaviest salmon within the designated weigh-in station hours will be our winner.
The junior angler entering a salmon must accompany their entry with PROOF OF AGE (birth certificate or government issued health insurance card) to the weigh-in station.
The junior angler and all participants in the boat must abide by ALL Derby rules and regulations. The junior angler must have their own ticket, be part of a family ticket, or be aboard a Derby Registered Charter Boat and ALL other OCCUPANTS in the boat with the junior angler must also hold valid GOSD tickets.
A SPECIAL JUNIOR ANGLER DAY TICKET WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
(ONLINE ONLY) FOR JULY 11TH, 2020. $25 HST INCLUDED.
Prize Value: TO BE DETERMINED
Prize will be awarded on awards day.
2. All data recorded on the official weigh-in form shall be final. If there is a tie for any prize based on weight, the winner will be the participant entering the first fish according to the data and time recorded on the official weigh-in form. In the event of any other tie or dispute the decision of the Derby judges will be final and binding on entrants.
Prizes are not transferable and must be accepted as described in Derby advertisements. There are no cash or other substitutes for merchandise prizes. Winners must arrange to pick up their prizes on Awards Day or thereafter at the GOSD office during business hours. Under special circumstances prizes will be shipped to the winners AT THE WINNER’S EXPENSE. Vehicles, if awarded, will have some mileage registered because of promotional use. In order to be confirmed as the winner of any prize, entrant must first execute a standard declaration and release form confirming compliance with the Derby Rules, acceptance of the prize as awarded and a release of all liability.
Winners may be subject to polygraph testing. Refusal to take the polygraph test will result in automatic disqualification. By entering, entrants agree to the use, without charge, of their names and photographs for promotional purposes. Not eligible are:
Derby judges and employees, officers and directors of each of the following: The Toronto Sun; agents and assignees; its advertising and promotional agencies; affiliated Toronto Sun Media companies; the Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows and its advertising and promotional agencies; weigh-in stations; immediate family and persons living in the same household with any of the above. (In the event that a winner is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, the prize will be awarded to his/her parent or legal guardian who will be required to sign the standard declaration and release form and to accept the prize on minor’s behalf). Additional eligibility restrictions: Void where prohibited and where this Derby is not in compliance with local legislation and requirements. The decisions of Derby judges will be final and binding on all entrants on all matters.
All times specified are local Toronto times. Derby judges reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone who has proven to have cheated in this or any other derby, tournament or contest.
3. Fishing presents hazards at any time; weather, faulty equipment and poor seamanship, to name a few. As a condition of entering the Derby the participant releases the Derby judges and the officers, employees, directors, representatives and agents of each of the following: The Toronto Sun; the Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows, its and their associated and affiliated companies and the Derby organization from all liability or responsibility to the participant or their heirs, executors, personal representatives, and representatives for loss, damage or injury suffered during the course of or arising out of participation in the Derby, whether or not arising out of negligence of those hereby released. (The Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows does not vouch for any of the charter boats that enter the Derby with a charter boat/boat ticket. The charter boat ticket simply affords a person the opportunity to enter their salmon, caught in accordance with the rules of the Derby, in the Derby. The Derby does not endorse any particular charter boat and as a condition of entering the Derby, each captain, employees of the charter boat and their clients release the Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows, its directors and officers, affiliates, agents and assigns from any and all liability that may be occasioned to any of them as a consequence of participating in the Derby). Participants in the Derby are reminded that alcohol and all drugs are to be consumed in strict accordance with applicable laws. Any breach of the Derby rules automatically disqualifies participants from winning any Derby prize. The Derby is open from 12:01 a.m., Saturday, July 4 until 8:00 p.m., Saturday, August 22, 2020. As described above, the Derby includes: (i) One Great Grand Prize for the heaviest Chinook Salmon caught overall (ii) 6 Grand Prizes for the heaviest Chinook Salmon caught in each of the six remaining weeks of the Derby, (iii) prizes in seven (7) weekly (the last week consists of 8 days) mini-derbies. Number, approximate value and description of the prizes can be found at www.greatontariosalmonderby.ca. Prizes may be substituted with prizes of the same or greater value.
4. Participants may fish in the Derby on any date after the date of purchase of a Derby ticket. The entry fee is $150.00 single, $225 Super, $300 family (2 adults & 2 children under age 16 ) and $25 for additional children under the age of 16. All taxes are included in ticket prices. ONE DAY TICKET – $40.00 including HST. Valid only for the day following the date of purchase. The fishing day is defined as 12:01 a.m. till 8:00 p.m. the day following the date of purchase on the ticket. NO REFUNDS whatsoever. If you do not use it, you lose it. You print the tickets from your computer. It cannot be duplicated and must be signed immediately once printed. The one day tickets will be collected by the weigh master upon weighing in a fish. Any fraudulent activity will be prosecuted in the Ontario courts of law.
Charter Boat / Boat Ticket – $1,025 including HST
Charter Boat /Boat tickets will be issued to a participating Charter Boats/ Boats that want to include All persons on their vessels for the duration of the Derby. The Charter Boat/ Boat ticket is not portable, but rather is issued to the derby ticketed vessel. All people fishing off the vessel, including the captain and first mate are eligible to enter salmon in the Great Ontario Salmon Derby. All Derby rules apply. The weigh-in form must be signed and certified by the captain. The official entry weight will be measured at the weigh station. Charter Boat/ Boat Prize Package
All Charter Boats/ Boat ticket holders are eligible to participate in a contest that parallels the Great Ontario Salmon Derby. All Derby rules and conditions apply. All salmon caught by clients or staff are eligible to enter the contest.
The prize package is as follows:
$3,000 – heaviest salmon
$2,000 – 2nd heaviest salmon
$1,000 – 3rd heaviest salmon
Prizes will be awarded at the Great Ontario Salmon Derby Awards Day on August 29, 2020.
Charter boat/ Boat operators, if registered in the Derby must abide by the rules set out in the schedule “A” to the Derby rules outlining specific rules and regulations applying to charter boat/ boat operators. Rules are available from Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows, 30 Village Centre Place, Mississauga, ON L4Z 1V9. Charter boat operators and their mates who wish to compete in the
Derby, but have not purchased a Charter Boat/ Boat ticket, must purchase an individual ticket from the organizers. All fishing must be in Lake Ontario, its harbours, and rivers as specifically permitted and must be in water located in the Province of Ontario. River fishing is restricted to: the Credit River from the lake to the GO train bridge north of Lakeshore Road; Oakville Harbour from the lake to Highway 2; Bronte Creek from the lake to Highway 2; Jordan Harbour (open); Port Dalhousie (open) and the Niagara River (open). Participants shall abide by the fishing regulations of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, the Department of Transport Small Boat Safety Regulations, all Municipal By-laws and these Derby Rules. Participants must have the Derby tickets with them whenever they are fishing. Participants fishing from boats must ensure that ALL other OCCUPANTS in the boats also hold tickets in the Derby. Derby officials may inspect boats at any time to ensure that all boat occupants hold tickets. Derby weigh-in stations are open daily from 9:00 a.m.to 8:00 p.m. Fish must be entered at one of the official Derby weigh-in stations.
5. A fish may be entered only once and will be marked with a hole punched in the gill plate or cut dorsal fin at the weigh-in station. Only fish that are whole may be entered. Fish with snag, foul hook, gaff or gill net marks, even if taken legitimately by the participant, will not be accepted; nor will fish that have foreign stomach contents or excessive internal water. Frozen or are badly deteriorated, washed out and dead for a long period of time will also be disqualified. All fish must be entered only in The Great Ontario Salmon Derby and no other fishing Derby. A fish entered in any other fishing Derby will be disqualified. Derby officials may hold any fish for examination, including biological examination. All fish in contention for a major prize will be held for such examination. The Great Ontario Salmon Derby is solely responsible for provision of the prizing. The Toronto Sun is not responsible for prizing. Fish must be caught in the manner prescribed by the Ontario Fishing Regulations, as outlined in the Fishing Ontario recreational fishing regulations summary. In order to be eligible to win prizes, participants must have purchased Derby tickets and officially entered the Derby a minimum of one day PRIOR to the day of competing in the event, and must comply with all of the Derby Rules.
Potential winning catches must be presented to the official Derby weigh-in stations for claim verification. Participants must correctly answer a time-limited skill-testing question and comply with these Derby Rules in order to be confirmed as the winner of any prize.
6. Prizes are subject to change without notice to prizes of equal or greater value.
NOTE: We encourage anglers to release their catch should it be of a lesser weight than that of the 10th place fish in each of the seven weeks of the DERBY.